These days everyone has a website, so it is important to be proactive when it comes to improving your Search Engine Optimization. Here is a list of ten ways to help move you a little closer to the top in your Google or Yahoo results.
1. Get listed in multiple search engines. There are many different search engines on the internet so it’s a good idea to try and be listed on as many as possible. There are a lot of free services that can help you get listed or you can do it on your own if you prefer. Here is a free search engine submission site that can help you cycle through the top 100 search engines and get your site submitted.
2. Get listed in more directories. It is the same as search engines, there are loads of them out there . The key with this is to look for higher pagerank directories. Improvingrank.com has a few listed by pagerank on the left side of the homepage.
3. Clean up your html and check your links. It makes it easier for the bots when going through your site. There are tools available to help you do this on W3c.org. Having a real person double check them is also a good idea.
4. Get more links to your site. The links need to be relevant and they need to be at least the same pagerank as you.
5. Make your page filenames descriptive and use a lot of keywords. If you use generic terms and basic filenames you are wasting perfect opportunities to do some SEO. Its helpful to use names and keywords that describe the content.
6. Check your Title tags. You are allowed to use 90 to 100 characters in the title, so go ahead and add some keywords. Google looks at them, as do many more search engines.
7. Check your ALT tags. Searchbots can only search text, not pictures . So, you should make certain that you have ALT tags on all pictures. You should make these tags keyword rich and descriptive.
8. Rewrite the URL (anchor) tags. A good anchor tag (the text between the http: and /a tag) will strengthen the message and keywords of your site
9. Posting in related forums and using your website in your signature is a great way to put one way links and help someone out at the same time.
A few minutes every few days can make a big difference in helping you achieve a higher search ranking.