When was the last time you checked your Facebook status or Tweeted? Do you have networking contacts on LinkedIn? Social media has grown from a way to stay connected with close friends and business associates to a way to market your business. Don’t think social media is worth your time? Consider this – over 6 million people regularly use Facebook, over 3 million are active on Twitter, and LinkedIn has become one of the top social media sites to connect and network with people in like businesses. Not only is a website a necessity for business today, but so is social media marketing. Don’t know where to start? Here are five top tips from social media experts to get you going.
- Know your goals. Answer these three questions before you plan your social media marketing strategy. Are you trying to provide support to build customer loyalty? Do you want to do research to increase your brand awareness? Are you trying to draw in more customers to increase sales? Once you are clear on your goals you can then formulate a way to reach them.
- Pick two social networks to concentrate on. Trying to get on each and every popular social network will take up too much of your time, and spread your resources too thin. Pick two that you think will reap the best results and concentrate on them.
- Content draws customers and loyal followers. There is a saying on the internet, “content is king”. This is still true with social media marketing. If you are investing in good quality, original, and engaging content on your social media sites, people will notice and respond.
- Let people get to know you. Have a public face and voice in your posts. One of the reasons mom and pop operations have survived for so long is because you know the person behind the counter. Use this attitude and let people get to know you and your company.
- Be realistic about the timeline. Social media marketing does take time. Like climbing up the Google ladder of page results it won’t happen overnight. But with determination, commitment, and smart marketing, social media marketing will reward you with more profits and more loyal customers.
Now you know the top five tips to social media marketing. The next step is to make a plan and just get out there on social media and do it.